Ban clearcutting in California!
Clearcutting threatens water, wildlife and climate.
Stop the destruction of California’s forests!
Clearcutting is highly destructive of the natural environment. Its effects include:
- Destroying wildlife habitat and corridors and endangering native plants and animals;
- Increasing soil erosion and sedimentation in rivers and streams, which increases the need for costly water treatment, diminishes the capacity of the state’s water storage facilities and harms wildlife;
- Boosting the risk of intense wildfires by converting cool, moist forests into sun-baked slash piles and later to fire-prone tree plantations;
- Degrading the state’s natural beauty, which in turn affects tourism, recreation, retirement and property values; and
- Contributing to global warming by removing a major natural storage reservoir (standing vegetation) for carbon dioxide, and by exposing forest soils to accelerated weathering.
Ending the practice of clearcutting in California’s forests is necessary and urgent. Our forests are being destroyed at an ever-increasing pace. You can help us fight clearcutting by helping to elevate this issue in the priorities of California’s elected officials.
Sing the petition to ban clearcuts in California!
©2014 Forests Forever. All Rights Reserved.